HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Rude awakening

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PostSubject: Rude awakening   Sat May 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Dirk awoke with a start when he heard a door slamming, and as soon as he did, he felt a throbbing pain in his head. His eyes opened wide, but he shut them again after realising that it was probably just the liquor shop owner leaving to run errands like he usually did in the morning. It was probably still pretty early and since he had been sleeping so little lately, Dirk decided that a couple more minutes of sleep wouldn't hurt, and he curled up in his cloak a little. However, his head was so painful he wasn't able to fall back asleep.

He sat up on the floor and realized that hid head wasn't the only painful part of his body. His ribs hurt like hell, and in that position, he even had a bit of a hard time breathing. It felt like each of his muscles were sore. He started massaging his temples. God, where even was all that pain coming from? His muscular soreness probably came from all the walking he had done the day before, but he didn't have a clue what could've caused that headache. He thought to himself that a nice, cool bath would probably help, and then he remembered that he didn't have a bath. He didn't even have a bathroom of his own. Right.

He stood up and cautiously cleaned his cloak a little. Actually, he couldn't complain; the owner of the liquor shop allowed him to used his bathroom when he was out. It was probably more than what most people would've done for him, he thought. The bathroom was on the second floor, so he went up the stairs, groaning with pain. When he got there, he walked into the tiny room and closed the door behind him. He began carefully undressing himself, removing his cloak and shirt first. He took his boots off and walked a few steps towards the mirror. He looked at his reflection while carefully touching his rib area. Nothing seemed like it was broken, but he had a large and dark bruise on the side of his torso. He frowned, wondering what exactly had happened to him.

He walked to a corner of the room where there were three large water containers. He picked one up with difficulty; it was heavy and his soreness didn't help. He poured some water in a metallic basin at the center of the room, meticulously measuring the quantity. The owner didn't like when he used too much so he had to be careful. He then put the container back in place and picked up a washing cloth. He kneeled next to the basin and started slowly washing his torso and arms.

That's when he really started thinking. He went through the events of the previous day in his head. He had went to see Equius and pick-up some equipment, and then he had spent the day walking through the Low district. He had picked something to eat at the market... He also had been followed by a girl dressing up as a carapace, right. He sort of had gotten into a fight with her. No way she was the one who beat him up like that though, right? He remembered taking her mask off. He remembered her bright, pink eyes, but that was about it. And he vaguely remembered getting back to the liquor shop.

He washed his hair for the first time in a while with the same low-quality soap he washed his body with. God, did he miss the Palace. Back there, he could wash his hair with actual shampoo. He actually had servants to wash his hair for him. He felt a sharp pain in his head, a bit different from the constant throbbing he had felt since he had gotten up. He thought he probably hit his head somewhere... that was the only explanation for both the pain and the amnesia. He probably needed to go to the hospital... but it's not like he could just go, so he would have to tough it out.

After he was done cleaning, he put his clothes back on, except for his cloak, and he put away his stuff. He then proceeded to get back to the basement. He was starving but he wanted to check on his equipment before going out to get something to eat. When he got to the basement, he dropped his cloak on a chair and he gave the room a circular look, trying to spot his crate. He found it in a corner, next to a shelf, except it was in pieces. He didn't remember why it was in that state, but at this point, it wasn't surprising anymore. All the equipment was scattered on the floor, which was odd, since it wasn't like him to make such a mess.

He picked up a as many circuits and chips he could hold, and put them on a table. He sat down and started examining them to see if anything was usable at all, but most of the equipment had been damaged during whatever incident had shattered his crate. He examined a couple of pieces, but he wasn't able to go on for too long; his headache was making it too hard to concentrate. So after a while, he just sat there, kind of just staring at nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Sat May 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Dove silently entered the liquor shop and eventually found her way down to the basement where the rebels headquarters lay. The past few days had been anything but productive but whispers from the Horrorterrors told that change was going to happen soon. Good or bad she couldn't say- any decision had its pros and cons. Taking her mind off of the past Dove looked around the room. It wasn't the most cozy place one could be at but it definitely was not the worst place either. Across the room sat the 'Prince of Derse' Dirk Strider. Walking over to him she noticed he seemed to be in a kind of daze. "Dirk?" She said lightly tapping him on the shoulder. A quick look at the desk revealed he had acquired more machine parts and had planned on working on them. It seemed odd that he was staring into space instead of knee deep in steel and cords. "Is something wrong?" She asked as she withdrew her hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Sun May 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Dirk was still sitting on his chair when Dove walked down the stairs into the basement of the liquor shop. He had tried a couple of times to concentrate on his task, but it's like he was in too much of a daze to focus on anything. He didn't hear Dove when she walked over to him – maybe it was partly because she was always so quiet – and he jumped a little when she touched his shoulder. He turned his head to look at her, still a bit confused, and he only really recognized her when she asked him if there was something wrong, which seemed to awaken him a little.

He raised from his chair and he moved a bit closer to Dove. He cupped her neck with one of his hands and he kissed her cheek the same way he usually greeted his friends.

"Good morning Dove."

He moved a bit away from her, towards the center of the room.

"No, I'm fine... I woke up with an awful pain in my head. I think I might have hit it somewhere, but I can't seem to recall..." He said, massaging the bridge of his nose. "I haven't been able to do anything all morning. I can't concentrate. I should probably go to the hospital, but... you know. Well, I guess it will get better if I rest."

He started to pace up and down the room, gesticulating as he spoke:

"The worst part is, a lot of the machine parts I picked up yesterday are damaged beyond repair. I don't know what happened, but the crate I was carrying them, in kind of exploded. I will probably have to pay another visit to Equius, but I don't see how I possibly could. If I can't focus on work here, when I know I'm safe... I mean. I can't risk going to the High district, with all the agents and highbloods, right?"

He sighed, slowed his pace, and came to a stop. He looked at the ground. He didn't like the idea of having to rest. He just had too many things to do, and resting usually made him feel useless, like he could spend his time in a much more useful way than this. That's mostly why he hadn't been sleeping much during the previous year – and because of the stress too, of course. He was the kind of person who just pushed himself until he couldn't take it anymore.

He raised his head to look and Dove and grinned at her.

"What about you, Dove? What brings you here?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Thu May 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Dove felt a strong hand lightly grab her neck as a kiss was placed on her cheek. The Prince was always a respectful one even in times like this. "Good morning Dirk." She said in return as the man began to pace about the room as he began to 'rant'. A small smile appeared on the girls face as she watched the Prince go back and forth, back and forth until he eventually stopped. "I'm not sure why I came here, I just felt like this was a place I should be at this morning." Striding over to him Dove lightly grabbed his hand and pulled Dirk back over to his seat and pushed him into it.

Standing behind him Dove began to massage his shoulders lightly. "Stress is horrible on ones health Dirk." She said simply feeling all the tense muscles in his broad shoulders and continuing to rub them. "It's not like you to be unable to concentrate on your work. Are you sure you didn't hit your head too hard? I might have to find you something to help if you did. We can't have you out of commission now can we?"

"If you are that in need of machine parts why don't you get someone else to pick them up? Or even ask Equius to put them somewhere hidden where you can get them?"

Dove said as she ran a single hand through his hair checking for a bump and could feel the coarseness soap gave to his hair. Quickly she found a bump at the back of his head and lightly poked it. "Does that hurt?" She asked and began to make a mental note to go find some ice for him.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Fri May 18, 2012 12:20 am

Still standing in the middle of the room, Dirk cocked an eyebrow incredulously. "Is this some kind of a psychic thing?" He said, referring to her affiliation with the Circle of Horrorterrors. " I wish I had that kind of insight, it certainly would be useful." He chuckled to himself before Dove grabbed his hand and lead him back to his seat. He felt Dove's hands gently slip on his shoulders as she began rubbing them lightly. He closed his eyes, his muscles starting to relax.

He caught himself thinking about the Palace again, something he did a bit too often lately. He used to think he wasn't such a pansy, and that he could get used to living in... lesser conditions. However, he often found himself thinking about the comfort he used to have back at the Palace. His discomfort was usually what reminded him that he wasn't as hardened as he thought he was, but today it was much the contrary. Dove's hands working out his knotted muscles reminded him of his military training, but more specifically of the treatment he sometimes received after a session of training; his servants would give him a bubble bath and then give him a massage. Sometimes he even fell asleep during the process, both because he was exhausted after training and because he got so relaxed.

Dove cut his train of thought short when she spoke to him, and Dirk fluttered his eyes open. "I know it is. How would you expect me not to feel stressed, however? It's not like I can help it". He groaned as she rubbed his back a bit harder. "Dove, I think that's why the Gods sent your here... This feels so amazingly good. I didn't know you were that skilled with your hands...", he said, obviously teasing her.

"Well... I don't know. Do you have a charm against headaches and a bit of amnesia? I really wish I could remember what happened last night... I could probably ask someone to stop by Equius' place to get new parts, but I can't ask just anyone. It's too risky for most of the rebels since they have no business in the High district. They would stand out too much, the agents would notice them. And I can't contact Equius by mail since, once again, it would be too dangerous. Besides, it would take too long, so I might as well wait until I get better."

He felt Dove's fingers run through his hair, which sent a shiver of pleasure down his spine... It was abruptly replaced by a sharp pain, though, and Dirk couldn't help but jerk his head and look at Dove with almost angry eyes. "Yes. Yes, that hurts."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Fri May 18, 2012 1:04 pm

"Maybe, maybe not." Dove said at Dirks comment to her having some kind of 'psychic thing'. Her hands began to rub harder as she got to the more tense muscles and Dirk responded with a groan and some teasing. If one were to look at Dove at that moment they'd see the faintest of blushes but it quickly vanished as the girl spoke again. "That would be a horribly dull job, I just know how to relieve stress easily."

As she continued with her massage Dirk began to talk about how he couldn't just send anybody to Equius lest they get caught. She had to agree with him there. In the streets above them you could almost feel the static of tension between lowbloods, highbloods, and humans. Anyone who wasn't completely on the bitches side walked with an aura of fear around them, always wondering if they were about to get attacked. Her own thought process was distracted when she felt a shiver run through Dirk and she thought about teasing him back but he quickly looked back at her angrily when she tapped the bump on his head.

She gave a small smile as she looked at his orange eyes- that's what he got for teasing her. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that would hurt so much." Dove said and lightly tapped the Princes forehead. "I think I may have something for that headache though." She stepped away from Dirk and strode over to where she had entered and knelt down to grab a book she had placed on the ground and almost forgot about.

Walking back over to the Prince Dove began to flip through the pages of her book before placing a long finger on a passage and staring at Dirk. She pulled out a thin strip of paper from the back of the book and throwing it into the air she began to read the ancient passage and the paper which had fallen to the ground began to give a small glow as words were written into it. Finishing the spell Dove closed her book placed it on Dirks table and picked up the charm.

Stepping closer to the Prince Dove placed the charm on his forehead- there really was no need for that but it did make healing take place faster. With a light tap of her finger the paper seemed to be sucked into the Prince. "There, it might take a little bit since it's not a normal headache but it shouldn't take too long." Dove said before moving back to continue the Princes massage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Sun May 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Dirk squinted his eyes and glared at her half-jokingly. For some reason, her apology didn't seem all that sincere–maybe it was because of her smile, or maybe it was because of the way she patted his head, which made him feel a bit like a child. He blinked at the tap; it might have been light, but it still managed to send a wave of pain through his skull, though at this point, he wasn't sure if he was imagining it or not. She then told him she might have something to help make him feel better.

"Really?", he said, the glare in his eyes changing back to a more neutral look. "That would be lovely... As enjoyable as this is, I wasn't planning on sitting around having massages all day."

He watched her as she walked towards the staircase and picked up a spell book. She then proceeded to flip through the pages of the book, probably looking for a magic formula against headaches. He looked at her curiously while she performed her spell. It wasn't the first time he had seen one being performed; when he was younger, at the beginning of a new year, the Black Queen used to take him to the Temple of Horrorterrors to receive a charm that would keep him healthy in the next year. Even so, magic had always been fascinating to him.

Finishing her spell, Dove picked up the charm from the ground as glowing words were written on it. She placed the charm on Dirk's forehead and he shivered as the charm was magically absorbed by his body. He was familiar with the process, but it had always felt a little odd to him, unpleasant even. Like the temperature of his body had suddenly dropped of a couple of degrees.

"Thank you, Dove. I'm sure this will help."

As the girl continued his massage, he opened a drawer and took out a notebook. He slipped Dove's book a bit further on the table, placed his notebook in front of him and opened it to what looked like a random page. He flipped through a couple of pages, which were all full of either scribbled words or sketches. He stopped to a page on which there was some kind of a list. He looked at it for a couple of seconds.

"So... what shall we do today?" He said as he kept flipping the pages of his book. "I could keep working on the machine parts, but since you're here, I'd like to do something you could help me with–that is, if you're not busy today. We could go for a walk... I've been working on maps, you could help me with that. Or we could plan a meeting. I want to pay a visit to the armory soon, since I believe we will need weapons shortly. We haven't made any significant progress in the past months, beside recruiting new people, and I think that acquiring weapons would be a nice step towards taking down that damned witch. We will most likely discuss this at our next meeting. What would you like to do?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Sun May 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Stopping the massage Dove looked at Dirks messy scrawl in a notebook he had opened, it seemed to be some kind of list. As the Prince began listing off some things they could do for the day Dove moved a couple of items to a different part of the table and sat down upon it placing her book in her lap. "No no, I'm not busy today. There's not much one can do in times like this anyways." She said and waited until Dirk had finished talking.

Seeing as how earlier Dirk had been struggling just to concentrate on working with his robotics Dove ticked off that idea as a 'no', besides he seemed like a caged lion in here. Making maps seemed like a good idea since when this whole fighting actually got started the rebels would know every nook and cranny of Derse like the back of their hands, so that idea was a 'yes.' Planning a meeting would also be a decent idea but with no progress to show it would be quite the pointless meeting.

"Hey Dirk how's the whole 'kill the bitch' plan going?" "Good good, we got absolutely nothing done! We've got this covered don't you worry." Dove held a hand to her mouth as a giggle escaped her lips as she thought that using Dirks voice and her own. It was made even more amusing due to the fact that those sentences were so 'out of character' that just thinking them in those voices made them funny. Straightening herself out again she decided she had probably left Dirk sitting there in silence for long enough.

"Well all of those things have valid points but I think it'd be best to hold off the meeting for a bit until something- no matter how minimal has been achieved. The blonde tapped her fingers on her book and stared into space for a moment before speaking again. "I have no actual preference on how we spend the day but the most probable idea would be to kill two birds with one stone." Looking over to Dirk she gave the slightest smile. "You could always work on your maps and while doing that maybe head over to the armoury as well. Though I do hope you have an idea on how you are going to start sneaking these weapons around without her knowing." Dove finished and lightly swung her feet back and forth.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Wed May 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Dirk raised from his chair when Dove giggled. He looked at her curiously, wondering what was so funny, but she seemed deep in thoughts and not likely to share anytime soon. After a while, she gave him a reply.

She was probably right about the meeting, now that he thought of it. He had thought more of a meeting in which he would give people actual tasks, and discuss future projects like for example, acquiring weapons and vehicles, but people would probably just ask about accomplishments and results. Sometimes they didn't seem to quite grasp the fact that, as much as he'd like to, he couldn't just do everything on his own. He wasn't sure he wanted to hold a meeting if it was going to end up like that. He would have to do that meeting eventually, and like Dove said, the accomplishments that would be done until then would probably be minimal, but there was a few things he could still do before that. For example, finishing his maps. He let out a sigh.

So planning the meeting was a 'no'. He felt a lot more like going out, anyway. Even if pretty much each of his muscles were sore, he didn't feel like staying inside. Besides, fresh air would probably help his headache too–not that he didn't trust in the effectiveness of Dove's charm, he was more like looking for an excuse to go out. It seemed like the best option anyway since his attempt at working on his machine parts hadn't been really successful earlier.

"About the armory, I meant it more as a future project, Dove. I don't have a plan yet. Besides, we can't go there with just the two of us."

He grinned at her.

"Working on the maps seems like a good idea, though."

He walked over to another table and opened a few drawers, looking for his sketchbook. Not being able to find it, he looked around the room, wondering where it could be. He then remembered he had probably left it in his bag after yesterday's events. He walked to a chair on which his bag was resting. He picked it up , opened it and took out his sketchbook. He brandished it to Dove.

"You'll need one of these. I think we have spares on a shelf somewhere."

He put the sketchbook back in place, closed his bag and slung it over his shoulder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Wed May 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Dove nodded at Dirk as he decided to just go with map making and watched the Prince look for something. He had eventually pulled out a sketchbook and told Dove she'd need one too. Getting up the girl scanned the room quickly before beginning her search. Her long fingers traced over assorted items in search of the extra books as she heard Dirk grab his bag.

"Where should we start?" She asked still faced away from Dirk as she moved on to another shelf to see if her luck was better there. It seemed it was because eventually she found a spare book. Grabbing it she walked back over to where she had left her spell book and picked that up as well. Striding over to Dirk she looked at the boy.

"Who knows, maybe by doing some map making you'll remember what happened to you last night." Pushing a couple of blonde strands of hair out of her face she shifted the books in her arms. "I'm amazed you can stand it here Dirk. It's so stuffy down here, almost as if the walls are trying to suffocate you." The girl instinctively put a hand to her throat but quickly let it fall as she adjusted her stance. "Ready to go?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   Thu May 24, 2012 3:59 pm

As Dove started looking around for a sketchbook, strode to one of the desk and opened a drawer. He picked up a few charcoal crayons and put them in his bag. He then walked to another table, picking up his cloak that he had placed on a chair, and putting it on. He pulled the hood up, making sure his eyes were covered. Having his visibility reduced like that wasn't very convenient, especially for a task like making maps, but he didn't have a choice. At Dove's question, he picked up his sketchbook once again, flipping through the pages quickly.

"Well... I already covered most of the Low district, so either the High district or the slums. The High district would be a lot more useful though, since there is barely any patrols in the slums. Did you find one?"

He said, as Dove was grabbing a spare book, and walking over to him. At her comment on what happened to him last night, he shrugged lightly.

"Yes, maybe. I guess it will come back to me eventually." He then cocked an eyebrow. "You really think that? Maybe you're right. In any case, I've lived here for about a year now, so I probably got used to it." He once more made sure his hood covered his face properly and walked over to the staircase. He replied to Dove's question as he went up the stairs: "Yes, I'm ready, let's go." When he got upstairs, he pushed the door of the liquor shop and made his way outside.

(To be continued => Map Making)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content
PostSubject: Re: Rude awakening   

Back to top Go down

Rude awakening

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1